Each trip you pack for is different. Most often you don’t take the same clothes, shoes, etc. However, when we travel, there are a few items I always have.
- OGIO backpack – These backpacks have so many pockets it makes organizing a breeze. Every family member has one including one for our son’s diaper bag. There are pockets for sunglasses, cameras, tablets, computers and more. We commonly refer to these backpacks as our “Go Bags”. They are always stocked with the necessities for even a short over night stay.
- Waterproof Camera – I made the transition to waterproof cameras 8 years ago or so. Our family travels to the sand dunes, and after one trip to the dunes and a ruined camera later – It was an easy switch for us to make. They even make little floats that attach to the cameras to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the ocean or lake.
- Small first aid kit – I have put together my own first aid kit for items that my family uses on a regular basis. I keep band-aids including waterproof, liquid, and regular ones, Neosporin, Pepto, Tylenol (both for kids and adults), ibuprofen, etc. I always like to have these on hand and always make sure this is restocked after each trip. You can also buy pre-made kits you can buy at the store for this as well.
- Small Toiletry kit – I keep travel sized items like toothpaste, mouthwash, perfume, deodorant, shampoo and conditioner ( I just refill the bottles as necessary) in a small bag that stays in my backpack.
- headphones – This was one item until recently I used to pack each time, however I’d get on the plane, and forget them. My husband can fall asleep at the drop of a hat, so he’s not one for good conversation.
- Word search or crossword puzzle book – I find these at the dollar store and keep one in my bag they are great for times when I don’t have service with my cell phone or just need a break from a screen.
- Kindle – I enjoy reading, and it seems like when we travel is when I get a chance to catch up on my reading. I love that my kindle stays charged for at least 2 weeks if not longer one a single charge.
- Small bag with cords/ chargers – we usually have duplicates so we can keep a small bag of chargers in our go bags at all times, that way we don’t forget the charger before we walk out the door.
- Pen – This is another item that I always keep in my Go Bag, perfect for filling out customs forms, word search, etc.
- Sanitizing wipes – These can come in handy for many different things. I try and wipe down anything we touch especially in a hotel room, on an airplane or cruise ship. I don’t know how thoroughly the surfaces have been cleaned and i’d rather not take any chances when it comes to vacation and my families health.
This is the bare bones list of items that I always have in this bag. Depending on where we go I’ll add to it as needed. Feel free to let me know what travel necessities you pack for your trips!